Should I cover my outdoor AC unit in the fall and winter?
October 25, 2015
Covering your AC unit in the fall and winter has its pros and cons. Myfireplace provides the following information on some of the pros and cons to help you decide whether or not you should cover your outdoor air conditioning unit.
Some of the pros to covering your air conditioner:
- Covering your AC unit can keep your air conditioner coils cleaner, which means your AC unit may run more efficiently and it may prolong the working lifespan of the coils.
- It protects the AC unit from natural materials such as sticks, branches and other related garden waste which could cause damage to your AC unit.
- It protects the AC unit from any possible water damage.
Cons to covering your air conditioner:
- A high humidity environment may actually trap moisture in a covered AC unit, which could cause damage to the electrical wirings, wiring connections and circuit boards. It is recommended that there is some ventilation to prevent this from happening.
- Please be cautious of small animals that may make your covered AC unit a home during the winter months which could lead to them chewing at the wiring causing damage to the electric unit.
If there is a risk of falling ice, you may want to consider inserting a piece of plywood on the top of the air conditioner just under the covering.
Contact our experts today at Myfireplace in London and find out more.